Come what may.

10:40 AM Jia Yi 0 Comments

Someone once told me, the only thing that is permanent in this universe is change - so true. The most drastic change for me would be that, I made a life-changing decision to change career (totally unrelated career with what I was doing). No more endless overtime, taking unreasonable orders from the seniors, dealing with weird clients and etc. 

I would say it is quite a bold decision which shocked quite a number of the people whom I have spoken to, which include me, myself. But this decision was made after countless of sleepless nights, tears shedding and even many more head-cracking months. I have weighed the pros and cons as well as consider the options available. 

My dad always tells me that, the outside world is your oyster, waiting for you to explore. And I guess I should explore the outside world while I am still young and commitment-free. I mean what is the worst that could happen if I realised later on that, this is a wrong decision? In case you don't already know, I was from audit and am venturing into education. So, let's talk about how did I decide to go into education.

For those who know me, I have had 5 years of teaching experience prior to joining audit. Many told me that, it is not easy to endure the life of an auditor as there will be countless of overtime to go through and tight deadlines to meet. And, that is one of the reasons why I took up audit - I wanted to take the challenge and see how far I can go and how "strong" I am. Besides, audit promises to give me a great range of exposure and I did not know what I wanted to do back then. So, why not?

I told myself to go through a maximum of 4 years torture and at the same time, I have a mission for myself - to find out my passion - what do I really want to do for the rest of my life? Probably I would like audit? I didn't know what was ahead of me. I am the kind of person, whereby if you throw me lemons, I would make lemonade out of it. But I really want to find my passion and live the life I wanted instead of just following the flow.

I enjoy teaching people about things they don't know. Perhaps it's the superiority in me? I don't know. But what I know for sure is that, it gives me a great sense of self-fulfillment. Very often when someone is teaching in front of me - be it at work or in class, I would think about how I would adopt the approach or how I would improve the person's method of teaching. As time goes by, the urge for me to switch career becomes stronger and I realised that, probably teaching is my passion. 

But, I wasn't sure and did not dare to take the leap until one fine day, my ex-boss contacted me. I started giving it a serious thought - do I really want to teach? Could it be novelty? I guess life is a gamble and if everything in life is certainty, then it wouldn't be fun living anymore; as we would know what will happen next and when is our destiny. 

A trip down to Philippines made me realised that I really do have a strong urge in teaching. I saw so many homeless children roaming and sleeping on the street. A strong sympathy grew in me. They don't deserve those kind of life. I truly believe that education is the key out of poverty - if only they were offered proper education and guidance. The same back in our home country. Many were being discounted for the poor command in English - if only I could help. It is also from then on that I found my long-term career goal - to help those underprivileged.

I am not sure what God has in mind for me;
I am not sure what the future lies - is it good or is it bad?
But I want to take this leap - 
And even if I fall, I have no regrets in life.
Come what may! 

0 comments: